Surprisingly and happily, with ESXi 4.1, VMware has made it possible to enable and disable SSH access to the host via the vSphere client. No longer is it necessary to enter the top-secret unsupported console via <alt-F1> and edit inetd.conf by hand.
To enable local or remote TSM from the vSphere Client:
- Select the host and click the Configuration tab.
- Click Security profile > Properties.
- Click Local Tech Support or Remote Tech Support SSH and click Options.
- Choose the desired startup policy and click Start, then click OK.
- Verify that the daemon selected in step 3 shows as running in the Services Properties window.