Some handy tips to keep your Mac safe on the Internet:
Our most critical recommendations for OS X security have not changed much since its release ten years ago:
- Uncheck the “Open ’safe’ files after download” box in Safari’s General Preferences.
- Utilize your browser’s security features (anti-popup, anti-phishing, etc.).
- Run Software Update on a weekly basis, and install security updates as they are made available.
- In the Security System Preference, be sure the firewall is on.
- Do not download, run, or share software from unknown sources.
- Do not open or share unexpected attachments received via email or instant messenger.
- Only connect to trusted wireless networks.
- In an enterprise environment, an anti-spam solution should be in place.